Monday, November 10, 2008

Sometimes, it is really fun to re-write a story from a different perspective. It is a technique that everyone should try. The story can be told from the perspective of the antagonist or from another major or minor character. This is just a fun way to get your imagination going. So, here is an example that I wrote awhile ago:

I Tell You It Wasn’t My Fault!
By Amanda Cahoon

Well, what can I say? It wasn’t me who blew down the three little pigs houses. I was being chased by a dragon that day…a dragon with a cold. I came upon the dragon when I was walking in the woods; it is not my fault that they prefer the tough meat of a wolf. Anyway, the second the dragon saw me he was intent on eating me. So, I ran. When I came upon the first little pigs house the dragon was hot on my tail. I started to yell at the little pig to let me in. He replied “not by the hair of my chinny chin chin.” I didn’t understand this reply…do pigs have hair? I was getting really frustrated at this point; the dragon was getting too close. The dragon came behind me and started chanting, “if you go in that house I will huff and puff and blow that house down!” The dragon’s voice was amplified; it sounded like he was right beside me. The pig heard it too and repeated the chinny chin chin thing twice. So annoying. The dragon started charging and I jumped out of the way. He skidded right up to the house, stopped, and sneezed. Huge flames came out of his nose; he burnt down the pigs straw house—then he proceeded to chase me. I came upon the second little pigs house, and the whole chinny chin chin scenario happened again. The dragon burnt down the second pig’s house of sticks. Can I help it if the pigs made their houses out of flammable material?
Anyway, there was only one pig’s house left. As I came up I noticed that the third little pig’s house was made completely out of brick! There would be no way the dragon could burn down the bricks. Again the pig wouldn’t let me in. I noticed that this house had a chimney….so I jumped in before the dragon could grab me. The stupid pigs had lit a fire, and I burned my butt. Can you blame me for being in a bad mood when I got inside the house? Well, that is my story. The dragon didn’t get me…and it was HIM who ruined and burnt down the pig’s houses. Reader I hope you believe me because here in Fairytale Land I am black listed from being invited to dinner or anything at anyone else’s house. They are scared that I will burn it down! Maybe if you tell them they will believe me!
The end.

No comments: